When driving on the highway, have you ever caught a glimpse of trucks with animal snouts and eyes peering through the narrow slats? Have you ever wondered how these animals are put to death for our consumption? A recently released video provides an answer that has shocked many across the country.
The video, taken at Ryding-Regency Meat Packers in Toronto, shows cows hoisted upside down, dangling from one leg, appearing to be still moving while workers tear off their skin with knives.
Toronto Pig Save started a petition demanding that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) withdraw Ryding-Regency Meat Packers federal licence and shut them down — more than 33,000 people have already signed.
‘No more silence about the torture of animals.’
Toronto Star published an article on Dec 21 2017 by journalist Linda McQuaig exposing horrific cruelty at Ryding-Regency Meat Packers captured by Len Goldberg, Chris McGinn and Toronto Cow Save activists.
See the complete graphic footage which was shared in the Toronto Star article:
Filming through an open window at the back of the Ryding-Regency slaughterhouse, footage obtained clearly shows a large brown cow thrashing about on the floor, trying to get up, as blood gushes out of a gaping wound on her neck. A black-and-white cow similarly struggles on the floor, while a worker bends over and cuts her throat. Cows hoisted upside down, dangling from one leg, appear to be still conscious with their eye lids opening and closing, while workers tear off the skin from their faces with knives. It is illegal to hoist a conscious cow in Canada. Blood is everywhere.
Dr. Armaiti May, a California-based veterinarian who watched the video, commented: “I was horrified to see fully conscious, alert cows writhing and flailing in agony as the blood drained from their slit throats.”
We demand the government of Canada:
- Do the right thing and withdraw Ryding-Regency Meat Packers federal licence and shut them down.
- The regulatory agency, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) have taken no action to date despite this compelling video. Please call the CFIA on 1-800-442-2342 and ask them to take action or contact them using their feedback form:
What you can do:
- You don’t have to wait for the Government to intervene. You can stop these atrocities now by voting with your wallet and BOYCOTTING the animal agriculture industry. STOP supporting this cruelty. Help shut down the most violent places on the planet!
- If you live in Toronto, join us for our weekly vigils, Tuesday mornings 9:30am – 12:00pm at Ryding-Regency Meat Packers, 70 Glen Scarlett Road, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information about vigils in your area or to start a group.
- If you eat cows, you can help by no longer paying for animals to be killed in their infancy: Veal calves are killed at 1-24 weeks, beef cows are killed at 18 months and mother “dairy” cows are killed at around 4 years. Average life expectancy of a cow is 15-20 years. Cows are individuals with personalities. Devoted mother cows bellow frantically for their calves who are snatched away. They mourn their loss for weeks. Switch to a whole foods plant based diet and live cruelty free! Save the animals, the planet and your health. Go to www.veg.ca to take the veggie challenge and for more information.
- Please support our work by visiting our website www.TorontoPigSave.org or www.patreon.com/torontopigsave
Thank you for your continued support. Your kindness is transforming the lives of B.C. horses and advancing the effort to end the slaughter of horses in Canada for human consumption.
PLEASE NOTE: You do NOT need to have a PayPal account to contribute, you may use a major credit card.
ONE TIME CONTRIBUTION or CUSTOM MONTHLY AMOUNT
Interac e-Transfer email@example.com